I realize that finishing second and becoming the Official Opposition must feel like a huge win for Jack Layton and the NDP. But I think somebody needs to remind Layton that the NDP didn’t actually win the election. According to the ‘victory speech’ Layton just gave to his supporters, he thinks the NDP will “assume office” and will work to bring about all the things he talked about during the election. But as much as their huge gain in seats may feel like a win, as the Official Opposition to a majority government the NDP will have virtually no power in Parliament. As strange as it may sound, if the NDP had been slightly less successful at pulling votes from the Liberals and Bloc the Conservatives might not have won the majority, and the NDP might have actually had the power to accomplish some of the things Layton talked about in his ‘victory speech’. But that’s not what happened, the Conservatives won their majority, and now all Jack gets to do is yell at Harper from the across the isle.
- Sign Of The Times
- Toronto: Please Stop Calling It A Budget Surplus
- David Suzuki For Prime Minister – No Thanks!
- Library Strike In Toronto
- Copyright Law And The Record Labels
- Governmentium and The Skyrocketing Cost Of The Civil Service
- “Every Year In This Country 300 Kids Take Their Own Lives”
- Sympathy For The Modern School Teacher
- “Canadians” Who Don’t Evacuate Syria Now Shouldn’t Be Rescued Later
- Ontario Election Results Are Frightening
TagsBudgets Budget Surplus C-11 Citizenship Civil Service Consumer Rights Copyright CPC David Suzuki Education Elections environment Hudak Humour Immigration justice Leadership Liberal Liberals Library Strike McGuinty NDP Ontario PC Public Debt rick mercer School Board Street Cars Taxes teacher salaries teen suicide Toronto Toronto Unions WTF